Why do we use whole grain flour at Made for you by Madeleine?
- Madeleine bakery offers products unique in Hamilton and the GTA: we create whole grain treats from flour milled on site.
- Whole grain flour provides more texture (from fibre in the outer bran) and more flavour (from oils in the germ) compared with conventional white flour where bran and germ are sifted out. Fibre is essential for intestinal balance and heart health. The wheatgerm provides many nourishing oil-soluble vitamins and nutrients.
- At Madeleine bakery, we believe in the wholesome taste, hearty texture and superior nutrition of our whole grain baked goods.
Why use stone-milling?
- Stone-milling is a gentle process that does not cause heat-damage to delicate nutrients.
- Minimally processed whole foods are more nourishing than conventional industrial food that is missing fibre and nutrients such as natural oils, minerals, and vitamins.
Why does Madeleine bakery mill flour on site?
- 100% of the grain is used as fresh as possible, with nothing wasted, in the traditional way before industrial processing became normal.
- Nutrients, particularly oils in the wheatgerm, are freshest when first milled into flour.
- The taste and aroma of flour are best when first milled, comparable to fresh-ground coffee or just-picked garden-vegetables.
Whole grain flour is not gluten-free (sorry)
- As with all bakeries working with wheat flour, none of our product is suitable for celiacs.
- Although we do not have gluten-free items, we make some no-wheat options by special order.